This is one of those recipes that changed names and a few ingredients every time my mother and I made it. I’ve called it Cowboy chicken, crack chicken, and dirty chicken casserole.
Today it is cheesy chicken nachos. Because I had a bag of tortilla chips and no idea what to do with them.
It never really mattered what we called it because it looks like dog food but tastes fantastic.
It reminds me of something out of Napoleon Dynamite
- One can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup salsa verde or pico de gallo
- One cup of milk
- Two cups cheddar cheese
- One 4oz can of green chilies
- ½ bag of crushed tortilla chips.
- One can of corn (optional)
- One tablespoon butter
- One pound of chicken (shredded or cubed. I cubed my chicken this time.)
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- ½ onion
- One can of drained black beans (you can also use garbanzo beans)
- Sauté onion and pepper for 3-5 minutes, adding chicken and beans and corn.
- Add soup, salsa, and milk to the meat mixture. Stir till incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer tortilla chips, meat/soup mixture, green chiles, and cheese twice in a baking pan.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Side note. You can replace tortilla chips with tater tots. And instead of baking it throw it in an insta pot or crockpot. My only recommendation would be to leave out the tortilla chips when throwing it in the cooker.
This is great for the Super Bowl or just a regular Monday dinner.