I wasn’t even going to post today because I’m sure everyone like myself has been watching the news. Given everything that happened today, I needed something good.
I’m a person who likes to believe in the goodness of humanity. I find hope in my sense of community and the experience of bearing the tough times with others. Right now, it’s a little hard to believe in. But I have to have peace knowing that this is all apart of the random happenstance of life. Things will get worse before they get better, but things will get better.
I took a few days off from my job, the blog, social media and just everything going on around me. I wanted to start 2021 off right. I want to focus on my mental health on being calm and allowing myself to be open to opportunities to come. Days like today, it has been very hard not to get lost in the chaos, and it takes strength not to dwell there.
Sometimes, in a moment of emotional crisis, a quick fix is exactly what we need. In my case, a good meal consisting of my favorite comfort food, chicken pot pie, and mashed potatoes.
The Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Chicken
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, corn, peas), thawed (about 2 2/3 cups)
- 1 package store-bought pie crust- I used Pillsbury
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate with pie crust
- In a bowl, combine the mixed vegetables, chicken, cream of chicken soup, and milk. Pour mixture into one of the pie crusts. Turn the other crust over and pop out of the tin onto the top of the filled pie. Seal the edges and poke holes in the top crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
The Mashed Potatoes
- 1 lb Red Potatoes,
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes if you want, I usually peel half and leave half. Cut each potato into about 8-10 pieces.
- Cover potatoes with water in a 2-quart saucepot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Put potatoes in a large bowl and begin to mash adding, mayonnaise and milk. Mash until creamy.
- Add in garlic, green onions, and cheddar cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, take a photo, and tag me on Instagram with #recipeswithbunny.
Stay safe and thanks for reading!