I took a little break from the blog and California and ran to Vegas. This was a planned trip, and it came at the perfect time. I really needed to see my family and get away from life for a minute.
It was nice seeing my family, my brother and my nephew especially. I plan on going back out there in about three months.
You’re probably like, “Eryn, why are you going back out there in three months?” Well, my brother left to go to Boot Camp. It was no surprise that he joined a military branch. He was an ROTC in high school. He was ready to go to Boot Camp last year when he graduated high school in May, but something happened. Now he’s finally been able to go.
I don’t know how his Boot Camp will be -the only understanding I have with any military training is from Mulan.
I very much doubt that’s what he’s going through. So he will be training to be a marine, and I’ve learned their Boot Camp is 13 weeks or something like that. All that time with no phone I would cry.
He requested that for his going away meal, my mom makes barbecue. I have been dying to learn how my mom makes her bbq sauce, so this was perfect. This sauce is so good; I’d put it on everything if I could.
She makes her brisket, spare ribs, and baby back ribs, all with the same sauce and rub.
I think I’ve mentioned a few times my mom doesn’t measure. So when I write down her recipes, it’s best to measure how you usually would.
My Mom’s Baby Back Ribs
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Red chili flakes
- Chili powder
- Two tablespoons of instant coffee (literally the only thing she measured)
- One tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- one tablespoon of minced garlic
- one cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- One tablespoon of yellow mustard or, as my mom said, a hint of mustard.
- Two tablespoons of the rub seasoning
- Brown sugar
- Juice from the meat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Season the ribs with the rub before placing them in a baking dish, meat side down
- Wrap the dish with aluminum foil and bake for two hours until tender.
- Remove the foil, take the juice from the meat and ingredients for the barbecue sauce in a saucepan, and simmer for ten minutes until thickened.
- Pour sauce on the meat and place the meat back in the oven for thirty minutes.
- Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.